Friday, 26 July 2013

Space Week: Some of My Fave K-12 Space Products

Often I think of how nice it would be to be teaching in an elementary school.  You know, being with the same kids all year, decorating a classroom for different thematic units, having recess...  And then I think of my beloved mother-in-law and how much time she spends writing report cards!  I'm really happy where I am, thank you!  But these products make me wish I was teaching the little ones.  Here are some of my fave SPACE-themed teacher-made products:


The Moon and Space Flip-Flap Books


First up is the creative Anna, from Simply Skilled in Second [blog, store, product].  I want this.  I need this!  Yet, alas, these super cute flip-flap books are meant for Grades 2-4.  (Sorry, Grade 9s!)  The books look really easy to cut out and put together, and on each page your students will fill in facts about the sun, moon and planets, color the phases of the moon and (my favorite) compare and contrast using a Venn diagram.  The Venn diagram is great because I still encounter students entering my Grade 9 class with the misconception that Earth is larger than the Sun?! Anna has lots of other neat flip-flap books like this.  If I was teaching Grade 2 I would own them all!

Astronomy - Unit Activities and Posters - Planets, Constellations, & Moon Phases


Next up is the wonderful Melissa from Common Core & So Much More [blog, store, product].  This pack has posters for each planet, the sun, Pluto, the phases of the moon and a whole bunch of constellations.  This is just not for decor, however.  The planet posters have facts on them and she includes reading comprehension passages for each planet and Pluto.  I would print these out and laminate them in a heartbeat if I was teaching Grades 2-5!  I think these would go great with Anna's flip-flap books to make for a really fun unit!  Melissa has so many bright and beautiful products from K-12, make sure to check out her blog and store!

Space Calendar set and Classroom Decorations

If you're like me and your classroom just doesn't seem to have enough space (decor, that is!) check out the fun set from Monica at Bilingual Classroom Resources [facebook, store, product].  So much cuteness!  Even if you only teach about space for a few weeks, these decorations help to build a really fun theme in the classroom.  I can only imagine how many teachers around Houston and Cape Canaveral would love this set!

That's all for now, but I will be adding products here and on my Astronomy K-12 Resources board on Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...